Saturday 14 May 2011

Stubai Atomy screwgate karabiner - first impressions

Another prize in the competition I won on Tribevine was a bunch of Stubai's Atomy karabiners. Since they arrived this morning I have been playing around with them, and I have to say my first impression is "solid". They feel great, one problem for me with lightweight screwgates has been that they don't feel strong enough. This karabiner is billed my Stubai as being one of the lightest screwgates out there. At 60g there are several lighter than it, the DMM Phantom, and Black Diamond vaporlock to name 2. However having held both of them neither feel as good as the Stubai Atomy. Stubai themselves have been a company I have never seen much of, they aren't widely available in the UK, however in Europe they are much bigger, and with products like the Atomy it's easy to say why. Stubai make the point that they could have made this karabiner lighter:

"We could have gone even lighter with an aluminium castor, but we couldn’t compromise on the top performance of brass"
The Atomy is also much stronger in tests that the lighter karabiners out there, making it a good choice for people like me who enjoy having lighter kit, but also enjoy the reassurance of strong kit! The Atomy has an anti snag nose, a smooth screwgate action, and is anodised red (which just looks cool!).

Technical data:

Breaking strain 26 kN / 8 kN / 10 kN
Gate clearance 16 mm
Exterior dimensions 101 x 54 mm
Weight 60 g
Tested to Norm CE EN 12275, EN 362, UIAA 121

Overall I like them a lot! They feel strong, but also lightweight. Not quite as light as my current Zero G Neutron karabiners, however they feel so much more solid, and I definitely think these will find their way onto my rack!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice this blog!
    visit our blog at http://uhooi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete